15ML 50MG/ML 99%PURITY
This product is for research only and not for human consumption.
Store in room temperature out of direct light.
1ML extractor syringe is included with each order for your convince but more can be added to your shopping cart.
AICAR (5-amino-1-β-D-ribofuranosyl-imidazole-4-carboxamide) also known as ZMP is an analog of AMP that is capable of stimulating AMP-dependent protein kinase activity(AMPK). AICAR is being clinically used to treat and protect against cardiac ischemic injury. If left untreated, it may lead to a myocardial infarct. Cardiac Ischemia is caused by insufficient blood flow and oxygen to the myocardium The drug was first used in the 1980s as a method to preserve blood flow to the heart during surgery. Currently, the drug has also been shown as a potential treatment for diabetes by increasing the metabolic activity of tissues by changing the physical composition of muscle.
Mechanism of AICAR
AICAR (commonly under the name Acadesine) is an analog of adenosine that enters cardiac cells to inhibit adenosine kinase and adenosine deaminase. It enhances the rate of nucleotide re-synthesis increasing adenosine generation from adenosine monophosphate only during conditions of myocardial ischemia. In cardiac myocytes, AICA-riboside is phosphorylated to AICA-ribotide (ZMP) to activate AMPK without changing the levels of the nucleotides. ZMP is able to enter the de novo synthesis pathway for adenosine synthesis to inhibit adenosine deaminase causing an increase in ATP levels and adenosine levels.
- ^ Corton JM, Gillespie JG, Hawley SA, Hardie DG. 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide ribonucleoside. A specific method for activating AMP-activated protein kinase in intact cells? Eur J Biochem 229:558–565(1995)
- ^ Galinanes M, Bullough D, Mullane KM, Hearse DJ. Sustained protection by acadesine against ischemia- and reperfusion-induced injury. Studies in the transplanted rat heart.Circulation 86:589–597 (1992)
- ^ 3. Zarembo, Alan. "'Exercise pill' could take the work out of workouts." Los Angeles Times [Los Angeles] 01 08 2008, n. pag. Web. 21 Jan. 2012. <http://articles.latimes.com/2008/aug/01/science/sci-couchpill1>.
- ^ Kristiansen, S.B. et al. 5-Aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-1- β - d -ribofuranoside Increases Myocardial Glucose Uptake during Reperfusion and Induces Late Pre-conditioning?: Potential Role of AMP-Activated Protein Kinase. Pharmacology Toxicology 10-16 (2009).doi:10.1111/j.1742-7843.2009.00402.x
- ^ Zhang, L., Frederich, M., He, H., & Balschi, J. a. Relationship between 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-ribotide and AMP-activated protein kinase activity in the perfused mouse heart. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology, 290(3), .H1235-43. (2006)doi:10.1152/ajpheart.00906.2005
- ^ Longnus SL, Wambolt RB, Parsons HL, Brownsey RW, Allard MF 5-Aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide 1-beta-D-ribofuranoside (AICAR) stimulates myocardial glycogenolysis by allosteric mechanisms. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284:R936–R944 (2003)